Coffee Lovers – learn what goes into a great cup.
Welcome to our first blog post. Hopefully this makes choosing a coffee supplier a little easier, or for coffee lovers that it helps you understand what goes into making that great cup of coffee. One of the most important aspects for a café is to produce a quality tasting cup of coffee every time and finding a suitable coffee supplier is key to achieving this. Ideally your supplier – like we do – will become a business partner, working with your business to boost your café’s potential. Follow these 7 steps and you will be well on your way to success.
- Taste. Naturally, taste is the first thing you think of when choosing a coffee. Yes, this is vitally important, but there are a few things that go into making the best tasting coffee. When a coffee is made, the final product is a combination of three things – The bean, who is making it, and the machine it is made on. As a business owner it’s important to know about the difference of beans as well as the tasting palette (a topic for another blog) to recognise what a really good coffee is. What about the other aspects?
- Quality of beans. Having a good quality bean takes some of the variability out of a good cup of coffee. The beans that we sell are Specialty Coffee Co. Veneziano Coffee and Byron Bay Coffee Company. These have been chosen as they are a nice range of high quality and consistent Specialty Coffee blends, and the companies align with our values (again a topic for anther blog). By using a quality bean you only have the machine or the barista to blame for a bad coffee. Prior to choosing a blend we assist in knowledge of the tasting palette to recognise what truly good coffee is.
- The Machine. It is important that your machine is top quality and pairs up well with your coffee roast. We have found that La Marzocco machines and Mazzer grinders are the most reliable, cost effective, easy to use and look great as well. For our coffees Specialty Coffee Co. Veneziano Coffee and Byron Bay Coffee Company they are a marriage made in coffee heaven. Your machine and grinder must also be set up to produce the best quality cup of coffee, we work with our café’s to ensure that their equipment is running efficiently, fine tuned to produce a perfect cup of coffee and if the worst happens and something breaks…. That it is repaired in a timely manner or a temporary machine is available for use. We sell coffee machines to businesses as well as home brewers for that perfect cup.
- Maintenance. Like a good running car, your coffee machine and grinder also need maintenance and repairs at times. This is where our business is set apart from others. Because we are a local business we are able to offer a temporary loan machine if yours is unable to be repaired in a timely manner. This saves café’s loss of business or any ‘good will’ from your customers. For the everyday coffee lover it will definitely save your sanity should your favourite coffee shop have machine issues.
- Price. Choosing your coffee based on price alone is not the best option. You may think that by saving money on your beans to start with will increase your overall profits, however if your coffee is not of a good enough quality to bring people into your café you will not have any customers to sell to. I mean – is a café not designed to sell coffee? And good coffee at that? Serving great coffee consistently – through quality beans, machines and good training will lead to more sales through word of mouth and customer loyalty, therefore increasing profits.
- Staff and training. A great cup of coffee is not all about the beans.There is a fine art to making coffees and Tommy and I have been taught by the best – Veneziano Coffee Roasters in Brisbane provide superior and world class training. We also attend regular coffee expo’s and travel around Australia learning about the latest trends, info and training. If you follow our tried and tested process we guarantee that, you will have a consistent and great tasting final product. A great cup of coffee leads to return business and word of mouth, to help to grow your customer base and make your café successful.
- Support & partnership. Café’s need regular and reliable fresh deliveries, advice and guidance on the latest coffee trends , a great relationship so that advice, criticism or guidance can be provided when required and training so that you are making a quality cup of coffee every time. We have a strong relationship with all of our cafes and consider them our business partners as success from coffee sales benefits us both. Specialty Coffee Co sets themselves apart from other suppliers as we deliver directly to cafes, we are a small family run business and pride ourselves in customer service.
Your coffee supplier needs to be chosen based on what they can do for you and what support they can provide. By following these 7 steps you are well on your way to choosing the right supplier for you.
Remember that coffee is a big part of most peoples’ day. People will not only share with others where they have had a good cup of coffee, but where the bad ones have been from… every cup counts! Do you have a desire to provide your customers with a superior cup of coffee every time, and grow your business to it’s full potential? Give us a call and see what we can do for you.
Happy coffee drinking,
Owner – Specialty Coffee Co.